Wednesday, October 16, 2013

I made a real effort this week to pick up some comics other than the usual Superior Spider-man, X-men, etc. This was, in part, because I'm so sick of watching Marvel betray the foundations of their characters week after week. Also, I've been having to take a hard look at how I'm spending my money on media these days; I want to read great content, but I specifically want content that features other types of characters. More importantly, I want content that is created by people like me who can't do much to stand up against juggernauts like Marvel and DC.

Having said that, I picked up The Shaolin Cowboy from Dark Horse, Rocket Girl from Image, and Coffin Hill from Vertigo, DC's adult imprint. I enjoyed all three far more than I thought I would, but Rocket Girl specifically stood out as a great book that promises to be fun going forward.

How do you suppose she got her name?
Source :http://bit.ly/1ebv3yW
The premise of the book is simple, but that's not a dig. Our young heroine Dayoung Johansson suspects that a company in her Earth's timeline of 2013 has been going back in time to rig things in their favor. Johansson, a time-cop from future New York City, makes her way back to 1986 where she begins her investigation to thwart the villainous Quintum Mechanics.

What I loved most about Rocket Girl #1, and why I recommend it for those looking for just one book to read this week, is the humor, the art, and the lack of dude's in spandex. Our protagonist is a 15 year old who is drawn appropriately and exhibits the certain, well, quirks of a teenage girl. She's sarcastic, witty, intelligent, and driven. How many other female characters are there like this in comics?

Appropriately, the humor is adult with middle-fingers flying around. The writing has a certain sardonically sarcastic tone to it that is equal parts refreshing and riveting. Clearly, Rocket Girl also takes inspiration from Japanese comics. Most notably, there are people falling over when they are flabbergasted.

There are other things to consider when buying your comics, of course. Namely, how much money you've lost if a book or two aren't for you. Well, Rocket Girl is less expensive than most AAA titles out there right now, with a price tag of $3.50. For my money, the risk was worth every penny.

Rocket Girl, the first issue of which was released on Oct. 9, has been added to my pull list. I'm looking forward to reading issue #2 when it drops on November 13. Give it a try, either digitally or traditionally, and let me know what you think!

What are you reading right now?

0 comments