Friday, October 18, 2013

You know, I make a pretty good effort to talk about various issues of equality. I haven't had the opportunity yet on GFP, but if you were one of my groupies over on They Call Me An Egg, there is a good possibility you saw some posts arguing for the rights for classically oppressed people; namely for women and homosexuals.

So, perhaps, you'd image that I would argue just as vehemently for "men's rights". After all, I'm a man. Why shouldn't I argue for the rights of my people? Why shouldn't I react with thinly veiled bitterness and hatred as the world changes beneath my feet?

Well, perhaps I've jumped too far ahead of myself. Men's rights activists are exactly what they sound like. They're men arguing for the rights of men. Here's the problem though: generally speaking, rights for men come at the expense of the rights of others. Here's one of my favorite examples from one of the lovely dirtbags activists on the Reddits :

"Sure, living with injustice is so much better than fixing it."- a Redditor discussing the need to make sure both men and women are made to pay alimony when the situation necessitates it.

What's that you say? That doesn't seem like such a crazy concept? Why, no, it doesn't. Essentially what's being argued here is that both men and women need to be held to the same standards under the same situations. That is equality, right?

The problem with the men's rights movement is that it isn't about equality. Just as radical feminism, radical secularism, and radical religion aim only to suppress and oppress others for their own benefits, so, too, does the men's rights movement, seemingly made up only of radicals, aim to retake their place as the rulers of the world. Here is a quote that is far more representative of the thinking of the MRM:

"'Women are marginalized.' Does anyone seriously believe this when it's so obviously untrue?"

And that's the issue. Men's rights activists are not arguing for equality. They're arguing against common sense in a desperate grasp to remain the majority, the iron fist that continues to oppress everyone else. I absolutely hate when members of any marginalized group point their finger at me, saying how "you do this" and "men do that". Admittedly, a lot of the times they are not wrong. Many times, however, they are overgeneralizing and arguing for reforms that, if carried to their conclusions, would just wind up with reverse discrimination.

Like so many other groups fighting for "equality", men's rights activists simply want a shift in their favor that ensures they can be the ones pulling the strings. However, unlike so many others, I'm not sure these guys really have a leg to stand on...unless you count the one built out of hatred and fear of an equal society.


So, what are your thoughts on the Men's Rights Movement?

3 comments:

  1. When the pendulum threatens to swing too far to one side, and equalizing force will emerge. These equalizing forces by thier nature reject rationalization, especially when only a modicum of the desired gain will be accomplished. This being said, it was bound to happen, and will continue to grow. Men can change this however and say that they, like I do, believe that men undergoing a redefinition of what a man is, just as a woman has been, which means that certain amount of respect should be duly paid where men are concerned, just as women should have the same respects duly paid to them. To tell you the truth, when I utter these things, it is usually the lesbians that are backing me on this, but the straight women, mostly, say, "what? What to men have that we should individually respect, I mean, WE give birth!" Well, I am not going to embark on that rant-a-cious journey at the moment, but you can assume that I don't like hearing that. I also don't like the sentiment that there should be a certain amount of guilt-suffering men should quietly obeserve because of all the hardships women did and still go through, especially when I uphold certain tennets of feminism as a worthy ideal. Again, this is merely the equalization of forces at work.....what we men do with this energy will dictate how it shapes our futures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "But I want a sandwich!"
    Just kidding, heh. No you're right, we don't need a Men's Right's Movement, we need a movement that is actually for equality rather than for just one party. How about the People's Movement! Wait, I think that's a magazine... Human's Movement? heheheh.... nevermind, I'll let you think of the name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I definitely agree with the concept. Human's Movement sounds just fine to me. It's simple and gets the point across!

      Delete